I have never been a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. Maybe that is because I have failed on all of them. I figure…if you are going to make changes in your life…do it! Don’t just sit back and wait for a specific date to roll around. If you think change is important…then it is important on October 14th too.
This is why, instead of resolutions…I make commitments. Most of them are not new commitments. For the most part, they are re-commitments or strengthened commitments. Below are my New Year’s COMMITMENTS.
- I will place my relationship with my wife above all other relationships. The Church will not come before my marriage.
- I will place my relationship with my kids above all other relationships (save marriage). I am called to be a leader of my family and my children before I am called to be a leader in the Church.
- I will actively pursue a healthy lifestyle…not only for me…but for my family (see commitments #1 & #2). At the end of my life, I will NOT look back and realize that my life is ending earlier than it should because I couldn’t say “no” to unhealthy eating and “yes” to exercise.
- I will spend more time outside of the local church. I have committed too much of my time to dealing with believers in the past. We are called to reach the lost…and that is what I will do. This is not negotiable.
- I will turn off the computer, the cell phone, and the TV and just spend time with God regularly. Distractions will not keep me from seeking the Lord.
- I will manage our finances in a way that glorifies God and blesses our family.
- I will preach the Word no matter how uncomfortable it becomes for me or for those listening. I will NOT back down.
- I will live my dreams…NOW.
- I will fish more this year than I did last year. Hey…I get to have some fun too.
- I will be an example to those around me…and all those I come in contact with…of the love and service of Jesus Christ.
What are your New Year’s commitments?